Main | Contact | Forum | Gallery | Links | Information

Kelly's Directory entry 1916

FORSBROOK with BLYTHE MARSH

FORSBROOK is a civil parish; the ecclesiastical parish was formed May 4, 1849, from the parishes of Dilhorne and Stone, and includes Blythe Bridge, where there is a station on the North Staffordshire railway, and is 3 ½ miles south-west from Cheadle, in the Leek division of the county, hundred of North Totmonslow, and Cheadle union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Cheadle, archdeaconry of Stoke-upon-Trent and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Peter, erected at a cost of about £1,950, is a building of stone in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch and a western turret containing one bell: in 1912 the church was enlarged by the addition of a north aisle at a cost of £1,500: the stained east window is a memorial to Charles Harvey esq. of Blythe House, and there are others to the Brammall family, 1899-1903, the late James Marson esq. of Marsh House, and Mr. and Mrs. Scarratt: in 1883 an organ chamber was erected, and an organ built: in 1908 the organ was practically rebuilt at a cost of £250: there are 240 sittings. The register dates from the year 1849. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £245, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield, and held since 1908 by the Rev. Ernest William Bridgwood, who is also a surrogate. There is a small Methodist chapel here, erected in 1856. Hon. Mrs. Parker-Jervis, who is lady of the manor, Mrs Gallimore, and the trustees of the late George Bennion esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is principally clay; sub-soil, clay, and in some parts sandstone rock. The crops are cereals of all kinds. The area is 1,298 acres; rateable value, £7,878; the population in 1911 was 1,852 in the civil parish and 1,910 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Boundray and Daisybank hamlets are 1 mile north-east.
Sexton, William Goulding.

Post Office. Mrs. Shelia Owen, sub-postmistress.


Letters through Stoke-on-Trent, arrive at 7.30 a.m. & 4-5 p.m.; dispatched at 11.00 a.m. & 8.40 p.m.; Sundays, 8.40 p.m.; postal orders are issued & paid here. Blythe Bridge, one mile distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

BLYTHE MARSH is a hamlet in Forsbrook township, on the river blithe, with a station (Blythe Bridge) on the Crewe and Uttoxeter section of the North Staffordshire railway, 146 ¾ miles from London. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, entirely rebuilt of stone in 1882, at a cost of about £800, and holding about 200 persons; a Sunday school was erected in 1905 at a cost of £950. Every alternate Monday a cattle sale is held at the Smithfield hotel, by Mr. Henry Walters.
Post, M. O., T., Telephone Call & Telephonic Express Delivery Office, Blythe Bridge. - John Harris, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Stoke at 4.50 a.m. & 3.20 p.m.; dispatched at 11.30 a.m. & 8.40 p.m.; Sundays, letters arrive at 4.50 a.m.; dispatched at 8.40 p.m.; telegraph office open on Sundays from 8.30 to 10 a.m.
Wall Letter Boxes - Railway station, cleared at 11.30 a.m. & 8.55 p.m.; The Villas, cleared 9 p.m. daily; caverswall lane, cleared at 10.35 a.m. & 7.50 p.m. week days only; Draycott road, cleared at 9.10 a.m. & 6.50 p.m. week days only; & Stallington lane, cleared at 8.3 a.m. & 8 p.m.; Sundays, 8.45 a.m.

PUBLIC ELEMENTRY SCHOOLS

In 1728 William Amory endowed a small school with 6 ½ acres of land. In 1878 a new school was erected in connection with this foundation, with funds derived from the charity; it was enlarged in 1903 & again in 1910. The school will hold 192 boys; Wm. Higgins; master.
Girls' & infants'. Built in 1857 & enlarged in 1887, & again in 1902, for 210 children; Miss A. Salt, mistress.
Railway Station, Blythe Bridge, Charles John Hammersley, station master.
Assistant Overseer, Charles Beeston

FORSBROOK
Broadhurst Mrs. Hassel Frances (Miss), grocer
(Marked thus # should be addressed, Cheadle, Stoke.)
Cope James, Mostyn villa Hawley Frederick Hulme M.R.C.S. Eng., L.S.A. surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator caverswall district, cheadle union, chilton house
Cosser Alexander, The Laurels
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Cresswell R. Douglas
Adderley John Dixon Frank, Bourne house Hiffe Thomas Lily, plumber & glazier
Brewer Ephraim Joseph, The Limes Docksey Misses Massey Henry, farmer
Bridgewood Rev. Ernest William (vicar & surrogate), Vicarage Emery Edward Joseph, Albert house Minshall Samuel Kirkham, grocer
Ermekiel Alfred Rushton Charles, farmer
Chapman David, Oak Villa Forester Mrs. Spring cottage Sant Dora (Miss), boys' & girls' schl
Dalley Alfred Forester Victor, Blythe lodge Simaster Naomi (Mrs.) WhiteCock P.H
Goodwin Frank, The Poplars Hawley Fredk. Hulme, Chilton house Smith Frederick W, plumber
Harber Arthur. L. Rosslyn Hawley George, Stanley house Smith William Mitchell M.D., C.M. Aberd. surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator Checkley district, cheadle union
Harris George, The Mount Hawley Mrs. Can-u-get
Heath Mrs. The Laurels Horleston Charles, Grindley house
Lockett William, The Grange

Hudson Wm. sen, Sutherland house

Walters Henry, auctioneer

Radford Samuel, The Cedars

Hudson William, jun.Westview Woodcock Robert, hair dresser
Ray George Henry, Sandon Lodge Irvine Hugh, Oakhurst
BLYTHE MARSH
Sherratt William H Jones William B. Lynton Bourne Frederick John, Sandhurst
Tompkinson Henry, The Firs Kent William J, Armadale Bradbury Mrs.

Williamson Fred, Ash House

Kent William Taylor, Heatherlea Wedgwood Bryon, Stoneycroft
COMMERCIAL
Lake George, Beacon house Williams Rev. David Walter B.D. Roseville
Baddeley Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper & beer retailer Leadbeater Edward, Ivy cottage
COMMERCIAL
Lowndes William, Spring cottage Amoor Clara (Mrs.), draper
#Beardmore Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer, Boundary Marson Herbert J.P. Marsh house Bartholomew John, builder
Beardmore Samuel, shopkeeper Mayer Lionel, Lyndene Bosson Frederick, grocer
Bradbury Emma (Mrs.), grocer Mear Mrs. Mayfield Bourne Joseph H, news agent
Bradbury Ralph, farmer Meredith Llewellyn, Gordon villa Broster R. A. & Co. millers (water)
Crake Thomas, Roebuck P.H Middleton Edwin, Clyde villa Chell Edwin, farmer, Stone house
Davies Bro. farmers, Exhibition frm Morgan John A, Holderslea Dennis Joseph, fried fish dealer
Heath John, Butchers Arms P.H Mountford William, The Gables Ellerton Laura (Miss.), shopkeeper
Keene Joseph, wheelwright Pickering Thomas, Willowdale Fenton Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retir Stone house
Lowe Thomas, carter Plant Harold J, Meadow croft Harris John, stationer
#Moseley Rupert, butcher, Boundary Poulson Arthur, Primrose cottage Hill John, farmer
Myatt John, cowkeeper, Moor green Price Mrs. Whitby house Hughes William, butcher
Owen John James, boot & shoe maker Ralph Charles William, Maythorn Jackson John, farmer, Stone house
Philips William, farmer Rice John H, Highfield Johnson Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Rushton Rupert Micheal, farmer Ridgway Bertram, Hopton lea Kelsey Thomas Harry, shopkeeper
Skerratt William, builder Ridgway Frederick J, Villa Melita Lymer James, jobmaster
Walker William, farmer, The Green Robinson William Hy, Harewood house Phillips Samuel, farmer
Whilock Wm. jun. farmer, Field ho Sims Alfred, Grosvenor house Rushton Sidney, grocer
Wooten Frederick, brick maker Smith Mrs. Ash house Schofield Joseph Henry, dairyman
  Swinnerton George Sellick George, confectioner
BLYTHE BRIDGE
Taylor Charles, Hooton house Smith & Co, Painters
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Taylor William Alvan, Woodlands Smith Sidney, Duke of Wellington P.H
Allen Bernard James, Walters Henry, Kildonan house Stockley Richard, greengrocer

Allerton Charles William

Wildblood Frederick, Argyle House Walklate Charles James, confectioner
Allerton Mrs. Sunny house Wildblood Vernon, Hillcrest Walters William, boot & shoe repairer
Aynsley Harry, Portland house Williamson Robert, Atsbury house Wild Thomas, greengrocer
Aynsley Herbert, The Beeches

Woodward Alfred, Lyndhurst

Wilkinson Samuel, Black Cock P.H
Aynsley Joseph, Blythe House
COMMERCIAL
Wright & Degg, blacksmiths
Barlow George, Holmlea Beech Alfred, Butcher  
Blair Thomas, Fairlawn Brooksbank Walter, Smithfield hotel  
Boote Charles E. Leadendale Burgess Wm. coal mer. Railway stn  
Brammall Mrs. Laburnham house Collis Frederick, farmer, Heath house  
  Coombs Arthur, greengrocer  
  Ford Fanny, (Miss), farmer  
  Gimbert Charles, ironmonger