Main | Contact | Forum | Gallery | Links | Information

Kelly's Directory entry 1932

FORSBROOK with BLYHE MARSH

FORSBROOK is a civil parish; the ecclesiastical parish was formed May 4, 1849, from the parishes of Dilhorne and Stone, and includes Blythe Bridge, where there is a station on the North Staffordshire section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, and is 3 1/2 miles south-west from Cheadle, in the Stone division of the county, hundred of North Totmonslow, and rural district petty sssional division and rural deanery of Cheadle, archdeaconary of Stoke-upon-Trent and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Peter, erected at a cost of about £1,950, is a building of stone in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch and a western turret containing one bell: in 1912 the church was enlarged by the addition of a north aisle at a cost of £1,500: the stained east window is a memorial to Charles Harvey esq. of Blythe House, and there are others to the Brammall family, 1899-1903, James Marson esq. of Marsh House, and Mr. and Mrs. Scarratt: an alabaster reredos and an oak altar were erected in memory of John Aynsley esq. and oak choir stalls in memory of Marie, wife of Thomas George Barlow: in 1883 an organ chamber was erected, and an organ built in 1908 the organ was practically rebuilt at a cost of £250: an organ case has since been erected as a memorial to William Hudson esq.: there are 380 sittings. The register dates from the year 1849. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £375, with residence,in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield, and held
since 1908 by the Rev. Ernest William Bridgwood, of Lichfield College, who is also a surrogate. There is a small Methodist chapel here, erected in 1856. The soil is principally clay; sub-soil, clay, and in some parts sandstone rock. The crops are cereals of all kinds. The area is 1,298 acres; the population of the civil parish in 1921 was 2,028, and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1921, 2,076.
Boundary and Daisybank hamlets are 1 mile north-east.
Letters through Stoke-on-Trent. Blythe Bridge nearest M. O. & T. office.

BLYTHE MARSH is a hamlet in Forsbrook township, on the river Blythe, with a station (Blythe Bridge) on the Crewe and Uttoxeter section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway,140 ¾ miles from London. There is a Wesleyan chapel, entirely rebuilt of stone in 1882 at a cost of £800, and holding about 200 persons; a Sunday school was erected in 1905 at the cost of £950. Every alternate Monday a cattle sale is held at the Smithfield hotel by Messrs. Bagshaws and sons.

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Blythe Bridge.
Letters arrive from Stoke
Railway Station (L. M. & S.). - Blythe Bridge

FORSBROOK
Challinor Samuel G., Braesde Dalley Alfd. plumber, 20 church ter
(Marked thus # should be addressed, Cheadle, Stoke.)
Chapman John V., Brookside District Bank Ltd. (sub-branch to Cheadle); open mondays & fridays, 11.45 a.m. to 2.30 p.m; head office, Spring gardens, Manchester
Cooper Percy, Armadale
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Cosser Alexander, Cheviot
Blair Tom, The Grange Davies James, Blythe Villa
Brewer Ephraim Joseph, The Limes Drewry John, Heatherlea Ford F. & F. R. farmers
Bridgewood Rev. Ernest William (vicar & surrogate), Vicarage Duddell David, Enville Hassall Frances (Miss), grocer
Farmer Sam P., Lyndurst Hawley Fredk. Hulme M.R.C.S. Eng., L.S.A. surgn. & medical officer & public vaccinator Caverswall district, Leek Area Guardians Committee, Chilton Ho
Brownridge Mrs., Cairney Croft Gunn Edmund, Penrhyn
Chapman William, The Oaks Harris Guy, The Croft
Duxon A. J. Fairlawn Harris Walter, Argyle house
Eckersley John, Rosslyn Hawley Fredk. Hulme, Chilton house Heath William.M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P. London. (firm, Boyd & Heath), physcn & surgeon. (surgery)
Goodwin Mrs., Ash House Hawley George, Stanley house
Harris Mrs. Annie, The Mount Holdcroft Ernest S., Mill house
Meigh William A & Walter Henry, Dole Spring Holmes Enoch, Mostyn villa Hudson W. R. garage.
Horleston Miss, Grindley house Iliffe Thomas Lily, plumber & glazier
Pearce Miss,. The Laurels Hudson Miss M. A., Longslaw house Insull Sara (Miss), corn dir
Radford Miss, The Cedars Hudson Mrs., Westview Jackson Flora (Mrs),greengro

Ray George Henry, Sandon Lodge

Hull Richard, Wellcroft Keeling & Son, Brook House Garage, motor bus proprietors, motor engineers & motor car garage.
Tompkinson Mrs. Henry, The Poplars Jones William Rees, Harewood
COMMERCIAL
Jones William B. Lynton
Baddeley Jas. Roebuck P.H Kent William Taylor, The Gables Massey Hy. A. farmer

Beardmore Bertha & Violet (Misses) Shopkeeprs

Marson Miss, Marsh house Myatt Edwd. greengro
Matthews Henry Ryder Maude (Miss), druggist
Beech Jas. farmer, New close
Mayer Lionel, Lyndene Servis Motor Tyre Co. (B. J. Jervis, propr.) motor garage
Bennison Wltr. B. farmer, callowhill farm Mear Miss, Mayfield
Mills L. Grosvenor house Simaster L. (Miss), White Cock P.H
Bradbury Wm. butcher Pendleton William, Highfield Simister A. (Mrs.) fried fish dir.
Britton Horace, haulage contractor & coal merchant. T N Blythe Bridge 60 Pickering Vernon Thomas, Willowdale
BLYTHE MARSH
Rice Richard, Hillcrest Rowley Joseph, Sandhurst
Byatt Alfd. farmer, Mount Pleasant Ridgway Frederick J. Villa Melita
COMMERCIAL
Cooper Frederick, farmer, Field ho Rowe William, Mostyn Ash Jn. Rd. shopkpr
Eddowes Sarah Ann (Mrs), shopkpr. T N Blythe Bridge 69 Rushton Sydney, Hopton lea Ball Albt. G. Duke of Wellington P.H.
Shaw William, Clovelly Bell Frank, greengro
Inskip Bros. fruit & potato salesmen. T A "Inskip, Forsbrook Sherratt William H., The Beeches Biddulph Fred, Black Cock P.H
Smith Arthur, The Willows Burslem & District Industrial Co-operative Society, grocers
Lowe Jsph, carter Taylor William Alvan, Woodlands
#Millward Bertram, beer ret. Boundary Twyford Rowley, Rostherne Callon Jn. hairdrssr. Wesley st
Walker Mrs., Beacon house Drewry Geo. Ltd. drapers
Myatt Wltr. E. Butchers Arms P.H. Walklate Leonard Geo,. Clarendon lo Gray Thos. shopkpr
Owen John James, boot & shoe maker
Willdblood Frederick
Hill Jn. farmer
COMMERCIAL
Holdcroft Ernest J. miller (water)
Rushton Rupert Micheal, farmer
Adams A. grocer.
Jackson Jn. farmer, Stone ho
Stanley Wm. farmer, Exhibition farm Bagshaw & Son, auctioneers Lymer Jas. & Sons, garage
Tonkinson Mary (Mrs.) grocer. Beech Alfd, butcher Martin (Mrs.), district nurse, 99 Uttoxeter rd
Woodroffe Sidney, farmer, wood grove farm Beeston Chas. registrar of births & deaths Delhorne sub-district, Cheadle Registration District, Temple close
Minshall Wm. beer retir. Stone ho
BLYTHE BRIDGE
Phillips Wm. A. butcher
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Bevans Thos. grocer, Stallington rd Rushton & Griffith Ltd. who. grocers, Green la
Allen Bernard James, Langladure Blythe Bridge Preparatory School (Miss M. H. Townsend, principal)
Aynsley Mrs., Portland house Stockley Richard, greengrocer
Barlow Eric Hudson, Strathmore Bourne Josph. S. newsagt Walker Lillian (Mrs.), shopkpr
Beswick John Ewart, Astbury house
Boyd Edmnd. Rt. M.B., Ch.B.Edin. physcn. & surgn. (firm, Boyd & Heath).
Weaver Hy. C. farmer, stone house
Booth Frederick William, Devona
Wild Mary (Mrs.) shopkeeper
Brammel William, Laburnham house
Wilson Colin, grocer.
Brookfield Mrs., Holly Lodge
Bradshaw Horace H. boot repr
Wright & Degg, blacksmiths
Brooks Wltr. C. Smithfield hotel
Brown Geo. H., M.D., Ch.B. physcn. & surgn
Colclough Geo. & Harry, farmers, heath ho